Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My G.A.M.E. Plan

I plan to strengthen my confidence in the following NETS-T standards:

1. Develop technology enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.

2. Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote students learning and creativity.

My Goals are to integrate technology into my instruction to enhance student learning, meet the needs of my students diverse learning styles by developing authentic learning environments, and make my classroom instruction more student-directed. The Actions I will take will enable these goals to be met. First, I will develop authentic learning environments where students are in control of their learning. They will be participating in activities where they are collaborating with other students and developing their creative thinking skills. They will be creating their work for real audiences on a global scale and learning to communicate effectively with authentic audiences from all over the world. I will also take into consideration the diverse needs of my students and their various learning styles. I will learn as much as I can about technology so that I can make decisions about what kind of digital tools will best enhance my students learning experiences. I want to ensure that I am integrating the most effective technology into my instruction so that the students are receiving the best possible learning experience. Monitoring the effectiveness of these goals and actions will be done by using formative assessments. Throughout the learning experiences, I will question my students to gauge their learning and understanding of the concepts incorporated with the technology. This will, in turn, help me to monitor the effectiveness of my integration of technology. To Evaluate the instructional effectiveness of my plan, I will reflect upon my teaching to try to determine what was successful and what was not. I will also be assessing the students' learning. I need to consider what strategies and technology integration worked and what needs modifications.

7 comments:

  1. I like that you stated students must collaborate with one another to perform a task. I have learned students love to work with their peers to create projects. I believe they feel more confident in sharing and building off their ideas. When you prepare to do group projects how do you group students? I often struggle with grouping students, resulting in letting them take charge of grouping themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have choosen to very relavent goals for your GAME Plan. I particularly like your first goal that encourages students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in their own education. This will go a long way in developing their attitude in becoming a lifelong learner. As you mentioned in your Actions, collaboration is excellant way to achieve this goal. I believe you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trisha,
    I particularly love your concentration on creating an authentic learning environment for your students. This is definitely the right direction for student engagement. I have seen colleagues who have spent considerable amount of time designing some learning tasks or activities, which aren’t authentic in nature. I have learned that this not only wastes our time, but also de-motivate our students to learn.
    I also like the fact that during your evaluation stage you reflect on what technology you have used and what worked and what didn’t. I think this is where you allow yourself to move forward. It is important to evaluate whether certain tools work with your students and what doesn’t. Without reflection, I guess you’ll miss out all these valuable informative information.
    Good luck with your GAME plan, I have nothing but positive thought for your plan. All the best!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenee,

    When grouping students, I have several methods that I rely on. Depending on the task, I may group them based on ability, interest, strengths or weaknesses, or I may do a complete random grouping. For instance, group them by birthdays... if they are between January and April, group one, etc. I do also let them choose their own groups as well sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gideon,

    Thank you for the kind words. I think it is so important for students to become lifelong learners. Just as it is important for the teachers to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,

    Thank you! I think the more authentic we can make a learning experience for our students, the more successful they will be. I just recently watched a program about how the human brain learns. It was very interesting. One thing that really grabbed my attention was how the neurons fired only when a specific experience had happened. And when that experience occurred regularly, the neuron fired more frequently. I think we need to create these experiences for our students to learn. We cannot just tell them the information and expect them to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Trisha. Thank you for such a wonderful post. I think you have created a great GAME Plan for success! You touched on so many important points in your posting. You mentioned students using 21st century skills and reaching out to others outside of the classroom. You also stated how you want your students to be active in their learning and how you would provide an authentic learning environment. You will continue to research various strategies to meet the needs of your indvidual learners as well. Your students are very fortunate to have a teacher that will continue to learn for the expansion of not only her knowledge, but those of her students. Great post!

    ReplyDelete